What will I study?
This course will enable you to develop your knowledge, ability and confidence in a variety of skills that are essential for higher education, as well as giving you a greater command of written and spoken English.
You will study:
- core English language skills: reading, writing, listening, speaking and pronunciation, grammar and vocabulary
- study skills: teamwork, problem solving, critical thinking and time management.
The course comprises 20 hours of taught lessons per week plus additional support where required, which will be supervised by your tutor. In order to make good progress, you are expected to do approximately 20 additional hours of private study outside class.
At the end of each term, your skills and language will be assessed to give a clear indication of your progress. Methods of assessment may include:
- written assignments
- research projects
- reading, writing and listening examinations.
Where will it take me?
As part of the course, you will receive independent advice and guidance to support your university selection and the process of applying to a UK university.
As long as you have met the academic requirements for your chosen degree programme, successful completion of the course offers:
- direct entry to an undergraduate or postgraduate degree programme at City, University of London
- assured progression to an International Foundation or Graduate Diploma programme (subject to meeting Tier 4 student visa requirements)
Enhanced English for University Study
What will I study?
This programme provides an additional 10 learning hours per week to the 20 contact hours on the standard English for University Study course. You'll build on essential language skills and vocabulary, and practice what you have learned in class, benefitting from additional face-to-face contact hours and online learning to encourage engagement and communication in English.