What will I study?
This course concentrates on academic English to develop your skills within a university context.
This course is designed to:
- improve your English language proficiency in the core skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing
- focus on subject-related work in your chosen area of study including a written project
- help you to study independently using our extensive online materials
- teach you how to give presentations on different areas of academic interest
- provide contextual study skills that acclimatise you to the culture and expectations of a UK university.
You will also focus on subject-related work in your chosen area of study to help you learn how to effectively study independently using online and self-access materials.
On average, the course is comprised of two hour lessons (allowing time for class changeover), totalling 20 hours per week.
You will be assessed to determine whether you have reached the appropriate level for your degree course. Methods of assessment will include short essays, an extended essay, an oral presentation and end-of-course exams. Acceptance on a degree course is at the discretion of City University London.
Where will it take me?
As long as you have met the University's academic entry requirements, achieving the level of performance required in the Pre-Sessional English course to fulfill the conditions of your offer will allow you to progress to your University course without needing to retake the IELTS test.