General English Summer School
English language summer school for groups
Our General English course in Scotland is for groups of 10 or more and provides an excellent opportunity to experience a taste of Scottish life and culture while improving your English language skills and confidence in spoken communication.
This course combines theory and practice, focusing on the language itself and the situation in which you need to use it. Our highly qualified and experienced staff guide you through your studies to help you communicate easily and with confidence. Social activities include day trips to the capital city of Edinburgh, exploring a museum, visiting one of our fabulous Scottish islands, or playing one of the many famous golf courses in Scotland.
What will I study?
The General English course concentrates on communication skills and English for everyday situations.
You will study four core modules:
In addition to your core modules you will also choose from a range of options, which could include:
- cultural studies - exploring a cultural theme based on aspects of local, regional or national life, incorporating project work, eg. visits to places of interest or cultural activities
- writing workshop - focusing on functional writing skills, eg. form-filling, completing applications or creative writing
- pronunciation workshop - concentrating on specific areas of difficulty
- advanced grammar and vocabulary for conversation
- business English - developing the vocabulary and language conventions required for modern business communication.
All General English courses are 20 full hours of teaching per week, plus additional self-study.