English for University Study
Why apply for this programme?
- be prepared for study at a UK university, or on one of our academic preparation courses
- adjust to the demands, challenges and expectations of UK higher education
- practise your language skills in a vibrant learning environment, with a wide variety of British and international students
You can study for one or more terms, depending on your study plan.
What's special about this course?
- Prepare for successful undergraduate or postgraduate study at a UK university, or entry to one of the academic preparation courses offered by INTO Newcastle University
- Study core elements of the English language
- Develop your knowledge and skills in academic speaking and listening, academic writing, note-taking, research and project skills, report writing and presenting
- Adjust to the demands, challenges and expectations of UK higher education
- Practise your language skills in a vibrant learning environment where you can take advantage of the University's additional learning facilities, and mix with a wide variety of British and international students.
Where will it take me?
As part of the course, you will receive independent advice and guidance to support your university selection and the process of applying to a UK university. As long as you have met the academic requirements for your chosen degree programme, successful completion of the course offers:
- direct entry to an undergraduate or postgraduate degree programme at Newcastle University without the need for an external IELTS exam
- assured progression to the International Foundation or International Diploma or Graduate Diploma programme without the need for an external IELTS exam, subject to meeting Tier 4 student visa requirements
Enhanced English for University Study
Enhanced English for University Study is a programme which offers the standard 20 contact hours per week plus an additional module to maximise your learning experience. This extra module will focus on language and provide a further 10 learning hours per week which will utilise both face-to-face and online activities, as well as flexible online coursework so you can work at a time that suits you.
Who should apply?
This course is designed for students who have a score of between IELTS 4.0 and 5.5 on arrival and intend to progress on to an academic programme with INTO. It’s particularly well suited to motivated students who want to make quick progress and intend to improve their IELTS score by up to one full point. However, as all students improve at different speeds, when calculating your study plan you should base this on an increase of between 0.5 and 1.0 IELTS band each term.