Pre-sessional English course in Newcastle
A short intensive English language course lasting for 10 or 6 weeks (depending on your language level).
Why take the Pre-sessional English course?
- Improving your degree outcome - Students who study Pre-sessional English are better prepared for academic life and perform better on their degree programme.
- Helps you adjust to UK life - Before your start your degree in September, you will have opened a UK bank account, know your way around the University campus and city, and have better confidence in your approach to UK University teaching and culture.
- One UK Visa - If English language is the only outstanding condition of your University offer, your UK visa application could include both the Pre-sessional English course and University degree.
- Excellent pass rate - 95% of students who studied Pre-sessional in 2015 progressed to their degree programme in September.
- Successful completion rather than the University direct English language scores - If you successfully complete (i.e. pass) Pre-sessional, you are guaranteed a place on your degree (assuming that all other conditions outlined in your University offer letter are provided).
- Successful completion of Pre-sessional will mean that you do not need to retake an IELTS test.
What does 'successful completion of the Pre-sessional English programme' mean?
- Minimum of 90% attendance in class
- Submission and successful completion of the Written Project and Oral Presentation to a satisfactory standard (a mark of at least 55)**
- Attendance at all four components of the final progress test*
*If one of your IELTS subskills is less 5.5 when you start Pre-sessional English ALL your subskills must be at 55 or above on the exit Pre-sessional progress tests to include reading and listening. This is a UK Visas and Immigration requirement.
**An INTO score of 55 is broadly comparable to IELTS 5.5
Who should apply for this programme?
If you are not able to obtain the direct English language requirements for Newcastle University, Pre-sessional English has lower English entry requirements but still leads directly on to your Newcastle University degree in September. Please click here for more information.
Further English language support during your Newcastle University degree programme
The University provides FREE English language classes of up to eight hours per week (depending on your English language level). They are free and available to any student with writing and listening skills less than IELTS 7.0 or equivalent. These In-Sessional English classes are designed to bridge the gap between general English and the academic English needed to succeed in UK university life. In addition to classes, In-Sessional support also includes lecture style and workshop formats covering reading, writing, listening and speaking. Also offered are one-to-one tutorials, where you can meet an English language teacher to discuss the problems that you may encounter with your academic English. For further details, please click here.