Does this program lead to further study?
Academic English students may progress to a Pathway program or direct admission to a UAB degree program after achieving the language level required and meeting all other requirements.
- To Undergraduate 3-Semester Pathway: Completion of Academic English Level 3
- To Undergraduate 2-Semester Pathway: Completion of Academic English Level 4
- To Graduate 2-Semester Pathway: Completion of Academic English Level 4
- To Direct Graduate Admission: Completion of Academic English Level 5, although individual program entry requirements may vary
How will the Academic English program prepare me for success?
After finishing this intensive program successful students will be able to:
- Interact comfortably in the US classroom with professors and fellow students
- Understand US values in an academic setting
- Present spoken and written ideas accurately and effectively in English
- Write research papers with proper use of citations and references
- Use the internet and UAB library databases to conduct academic research
- Read, understand and critically evaluate academic texts
- Understand and use vocabulary common to academic disciplines
- Take useful and accurate notes in academic lectures and presentations
- Develop and deliver oral presentations