International Foundation in Humanities and Social Sciences
Study at one of the most successful faculties of its kind in the UK, with over 1,000 academic staff and an income of around £200 million a year.
Why apply for the International Foundation programme?
- A guaranteed conditional route to Year 1 of an undergraduate degree at The University of Manchester (subject to meeting the conditions of the offer set).
- A quality-assured, NCUK accredited programme recognised by The University of Manchester.
- Access to a range of university facilities, including a world-class library, and various sport and social facilities.
Course options available
There are three options available for this course:
- International Foundation (3 terms) - this is the standard option, suitable for most students
- Headstart Foundation (3 terms) - this includes an additional two weeks of learning that introduces you to British culture and history
- Extended International Foundation (4 terms) - this option features an additional term of English at the beginning for extra language support and English language entry requirements are typically lower
What is special about this programme?
The International Foundation is designed to improve your English language skills, develop necessary your study and research skills, and increase your understanding of key academic subjects.
- university-style teaching (for academic modules)
- English language classes are taught in an interactive, inclusive classroom environment
- helpful and supportive teachers
- high contact hours and interactive teaching
You will receive advice and feedback from your teachers throughout your studies. Regular access to your teachers will help you plan for future study, and answer any questions to encourage academic success.
Regular university contact
As well as access to library and sporting facilities, admissions staff from the Schools to which you are applying will be in regular contact to ensure you feel part of the University.
There will also be opportunities to undertake visits to the University for activities such as departmental tours and open days, where you will be able to meet current students.
You’ll receive advice and feedback from your teachers. They will be able to answer questions and provide guidance, to assist with your academic success.
This programme provides the perfect combination of university-style lectures and interactive seminars.
By gaining hands-on experience you will be able to put theory into practice to help prepare you for undergraduate study.
Who should apply for the International Foundation programme?
You should apply for this course if you have completed secondary school education in your home country.
The International Foundation programme provides academic preparation for first year entry and ensures that you meet the minimum English language requirement for entry to your chosen undergraduate degree programme at The University of Manchester.
Successful completion of this programme will also allow you to apply for entry to other universities in the UK.