The academic and English skills you need for success
Designed for students of all levels of English who want to develop communication skills and learn about American culture.
The General English program consists of 4-week sessions designed for students of all levels of English who want to develop English language skills for many social and professional situations while learning about American culture.
Program highlights include:
- Classes at all levels from beginner to advanced
- An emphasis on real-world communication
- Class projects that help build communication skills and cultural understanding
- Outside class activities to support learning
- Extra one-on-one help through the INTO USF Tutoring Center
This program does not include academic study courses. If you are planning to enroll in classes at the University of South Florida, please apply to a Pathway Program or the Academic English program. Successful completion of General English does not meet any language requirement for admission to the University.
What will I study?
The aim of the program is to provide high quality English instruction, helping you develop all aspects of your English ability. As a part of the program, you will develop skills and confidence in:
- Social English
- American culture
- Presentation skills
- All levels of instruction from beginner to advanced
- Small class sizes
- 18 hours of classes per week with regular homework assignments
- 3-7 hours of interest groups per week where you can learn about a variety of topics with USF students
- Business English
- Idioms and Pronunciation
- American Humor
- Florida Culture
- Current Events