Top 5 tips for feeling at home overseas
Learning a new language, meeting new people and settling in to life in a new country are all part of the exciting journey you’ll take as an international student.
The first few weeks can leave you feeling a bit homesick but don’t worry, many students feel like this. You’ll soon get used to your new routine and enjoy your study abroad experience. Here are some ways to make the transition to life in the US easier:
- Find out if any of your classmates are also planning to study abroad in the US. Being able to keep in touch with someone you know from home can help when you’re feeling homesick
- Get involved with clubs, events and societies – it will help you make friends with people who have the same interests as you
- Keep in regular contact with your family and friends back home. If you’re feeling unsettled, it can help to talk to people who know you really well and can offer support
- Staying active is a great way to keep fit and healthy, as well as helping you to stay positive. It’s also a great way to meet new friends!
- Set your expectations and remember that things will be different in another country. It might take you a while to settle in to your new routine but take the time to enjoy this new challenge