US travel

We are here to help you

We’ll help make your journey to the US as smooth as possible. Time to visit home? With so many international airports in the US, it won’t seem far away. University campuses are known for being big. Want to know how to travel around campus or explore the city? We’ve got everything you need to know to get started.

Travel to the US

Research which flights are best for you and book your tickets in advance. Remember to buy travel insurance to cover you and your belongings while traveling. And remember, always label all of your luggage clearly. The label should have your full name and the address of the INTO center.

When should I arrive?

As an F-1 student, you can enter the US up to 30 days before the start date written on your I-20. Don’t arrive any earlier or after your start date. We recommend arriving at least one full day before your start date, but be sure to check when your accommodation will be ready. What documents do I need? Make sure to have these documents in your carry-on luggage to show upon arrival at the US Port of Entry:

·       Valid passport

·       Original I-20

·       F-1 visa

·       SEVIS I-901 fee payment receipt

·       Finance documents to prove you have financial cover for your first year of study

·       Your University offer letter and admission or confirmation letter

Complete a US Customs Declaration Form on the flight

On the flight, you’ll be given a US Customs Declaration Form to fill out. Present it to the immigration official when you enter the US. The immigration official will stamp it and return it to you. You’ll then present it to the Customs official at a separate checkpoint. Don’t lose this form! If you’re traveling with dependents, you’ll need to complete only one of these forms.

Get your I-94 number

This contains official details of your arrival and status in the US. You no longer need to complete a paper form. Instead, get your number online. Once you arrive in the US, download and save a copy of your I-94 number.

Meet immigration staff

At the airport, you might meet immigration staff and you may need to answer question such as:

·       Why are you coming to the US?

·       Where and what course are you studying?

·       Where will you live during your studies?

·       How are you going to fund your studies?

For more information about immigration and arriving in the US, visit the government website.

INTO Airport Transfer Service

Your INTO center provides an airport transfer service for you when you arrive. When scheduling your flights, please remember you must arrive at least one day before, but no more than 30 days before, your program start date (refer to the start date on your I-20).

White House

Travel the US and see sights like the White House

Traveling around the US

US university campuses can be large. Some are even the size of small towns! So, how do you get around on campus? Walking and bicycling are the most common form of transportation. Most campuses also have buses for you to get around on campus., if you live off-campus, public transportation isa very good option. You can catch a bus to travel to campus or visit nearby towns.

The US is a diverse country. Why not take the time to explore further afield and see what the US has to offer? Internal (domestic) flights are often the most effective way to travel longer distances within the US. Rail is also a good option. It will take longer but may be cheaper.

Want to drive a car? You’ll need to get a US driving license from the state you’re living in. To do this, you’ll have to pass a written  test of US driving laws in English and a driving test. More information is available once you arrive.