international students

US visas

You'll need a visa

To study in the US, you’ll need to get a visa. If this sounds a little daunting, don’t worry. We’ve got years of experience helping students obtain a visa for international study. We’ll walk you through the process with our step-by-step guide to getting your F-1 student visa.

Each university we work with is also very experienced with international students, so once you’re here, the visa and immigration support continues.

Student visas

We make getting a student visa as easy as possible

Applying for an F-1 student visa

Step 1: Receive your I-20 from your chosen university

An I-20 is a paper record of your information in the government database called SEVIS (Student and Visitor Exchange Visitor Program). When applying to your chosen university, you’ll submit evidence of your financial situation. You must provide a bank statement with the required amount to apply for your I-20. If the bank statement is not in your name, the university will provide an affidavit of support for your sponsor to complete. Once your application is accepted, your chosen university will create an I-20 form for you. You’ll need this to apply for a visa.

Step 2: Pay the SEVIS I-901 fee online

Paying this fee activates your I-20 in the SEVIS database. Remember to print your receipt and take it with you to the US Embassy/Consulate. There is a SEVIS ID number on your I-20 form, above the barcode on the top right-hand side. You’ll need this to complete the SEVIS Form I-901.

Pay your SEVIS fee

Step 3: Make an appointment for your visa interview

Make an appointment with your local US Embassy/Consulate for a visa interview as soon as you’ve completed steps 1 and 2. It may take a few weeks to get an appointment. Wait to make travel arrangements until after you’ve received your visa.

Find your nearest US Embassy/Consulate

Check wait and processing times

Step 4: Take documents with you to your visa interview

Make sure you have these documents and take them with you to your visa interview:

  • Passport valid for travel to the United States - Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United States (unless exempt by country-specific agreements). If more than one person is included in your passport, each person who needs a visa must submit a separate application.
  • Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 confirmation page
  • Application fee payment receipt, if you are required to pay before your interview
  • Photo – You will upload your photo while completing the online Form DS-160. If the photo upload fails, you must bring one printed photo in the format explained in the Photograph Requirements.
  • Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status-For Academic and Language Students, Form I-20 or Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (M-1) Student Status for Vocational Students, Form I-20

More help

Visit the US State Department website for more details on how to apply for your visa.