Is GCU a good choice for international students?
Glasgow Caledonian University (GCU) puts theoretical learning to practice with excellent links to industry and the professions and a stimulating learning environment. With a career focus throughout its programmes and specialist facilities designed to help you engage with your education, GCU is a popular choice for international students.
What type of degrees can I study at the University?
The University has a unique and contemporary degree offering. Focusing on your ultimate career prospects right from the start, many degrees are among a few of their kind in the world, such as Luxury Brand Management and Luxury Brand Marketing.
You will find degrees that delve into the specifics of a subject that you are interested in, so you will grow to become a specialist in your field. The University has strong links to leading companies such as Morgan Stanley, PwC, Clyde Union Pumps, Santander, Babcock International, Jaguar and GEC to help you put your learning into practice.
GCU has helped many students make their dream of starting their own business come true. Isatou from The Gambia started her own company there and went on to win Sir Richard Branson’s Virgin Media ‘VOOM’ business competition!
How will the University's degrees help boost my employability?
Programme accreditations are internationally-recognised approvals by professional bodies that confirm to your future employer that you’ve had great preparation for a career in your chosen subject. Accredited programmes may also give you the opportunity register with a professional body and take certification examinations to boost your employability. The University has a huge portfolio of programme accreditations from professional bodies, including:
- Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- Institution of Engineering and Technology
- Institute of Measurement and Control
- EPAS accreditation by the European Foundation for Management Development
- Chartered Institute of Marketing
- Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development
- Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment
- Chartered Insurance Institute
- BCS accredited by the Chartered Institute for IT
There are also great opportunities to take a placement or interact with industry-leading companies throughout your degree programme, no matter the subject area you choose to study.
One INTO GCU alumna, Nadine from The Gambia, went on to study BEng (Hons) Computer-Aided Mechanical Engineering at GCU. During her degree, she was given the opportunity to take a work placement with aeronautics company, Airbus, in Germany, working within the Space Systems department that develops new technologies.
What specialist facilities will help me develop my skills?
Designed to help you gain the skills that employers want, the University has a modern learning environment filled with cutting-edge facilities. Depending on your chosen degree, the facilities you could have access to include:
- Physiotherapy@GCUClinic – specialist healthcare service for students to learn to assess injuries and treat conditions
- Networking Labs – six labs with 30+ CCNA Security and CCNP pods populated with a high specification devices
- Interprofessional Simulation Centre – simulated home and hospital environments with recording equipment
- GCU Vision Centre – opticians service with specialist services including low vision and colour assessments
- Game Design Studio – 3D Laser Scanning and Motion Capture tools, 3D Animation and Virtual Reality labs