What makes Newcastle University a great place to study?
Newcastle University is a highly-ranked Russell Group institution, with a global reputation for academic excellence, research power and graduate employability. With students from more than 135 countries and campuses in London, Singapore and Malaysia, Newcastle is a truly international university.
Studying here, you'll benefit from globally-recognised teaching with world-leading research at its core, designed to challenge your ability to think and analyse critically. Then, when you're not working on your studies, you'll have the opportunity to explore Newcastle – a city full of history and culture with an excellent reputation among students.
How does the teaching at Newcastle University stand out?
Over the course of its 180-year history, Newcastle University has earned a solid reputation for top-quality teaching and research. As a member of the Russell Group, you can expect academic excellence informed by globally-recognised research.
Teaching at Newcastle University is designed to challenge you, helping you to reach your potential as both a student and an academic. Newcastle University boasts a range of impressive teaching accolades, including:
- TEF Gold for teaching quality (Teaching Excellence Framework 2017)
- Top 25 in Europe for teaching excellence (Times Higher Education Europe Teaching Rankings 2019)
- One of just 10 universities with 5+ stars for teaching, research and university facilities (QS Stars University Ratings 2018)
Why is Newcastle such a popular city for students?
Newcastle is known as the cultural centre of North East England, with its exciting nightlife, stunning Georgian-era buildings and friendly locals known as ‘Geordies’.
It's also one of the UK's best student cities, with a winning combination of culture, shopping, nightlife, low cost of living and a welcoming vibe – all of which are reflected in the rankings:
- Top 10 best city in the UK for students (QS Best Student Cities 2018 & 2019)
- 4th in the UK for city life (Whatuni Student Choice Awards 2019)
Newcastle University's campus is close to the heart of the action, right in the city centre, so you'll always be close to shops, cafés and parks. Friendly, safe and affordable, Newcastle is the ideal place to start your study abroad journey.
How will Newcastle University help me reach my career goals?
Studying at Newcastle University is a superb investment in your future, with an outstanding track record of developing students' employability prospects. Not only will you gain a high-quality degree at Newcastle, you'll be given the skills to thrive in the workplace.
Many of the university's degrees are accredited by, or developed with, professional organisations so you can be sure your degree has true occupational value.
With an excellent track record of graduate employment, Newcastle University boasts a number of employability accolades, including:
- Top 20 university targeted by leading UK employers for the last 7 years (High Fliers Research 2012-2019)
- One of only 11 universities in the world to attain 5+ QS stars for employability (QS Stars University Rankings 2018)
- 96% of Newcastle University graduates progress to employment or further study within six months of graduating (Destination of Leavers of Higher Education Survey 2016/17)
Newcastle University's Award-winning careers service will give you the support you need to gain valuable skills desired by employers around the world. The university offers a comprehensive and varied service including online networking, drop-in CV clinics, skills workshops and one-to-one sessions with professional careers advisers – who will even support you in starting a business!