Students studying abroad

Your child's journey to studying abroad: information for parents

Choosing to study abroad is a big decision, but an exciting one too. As a parent, you want to make the best choices about your child’s education and make sure that they’re supported throughout their study abroad experience too. We’re here to help. On this page, you’ll find answers to your questions about studying abroad, so you can feel confident about your child’s choice.

Why choose INTO?

What do parents think of INTO?

Chuan-Wen and Chun-Ming, Taiwan – parents of Ray, INTO University of South Florida graduate

“We thought that if our son went abroad, it would broaden his horizons and it would be a huge help for his life to see the world. After his studies, he came home and started his business. I thought it was a great idea, I fully support what he’s doing.”

Chuan-Wen and Chun-Ming, Taiwan – parents of Ray, who started his own business in Taiwan after graduating from the University of South Florida

How INTO will help your child

Our knowledgeable and friendly teams will support your child every step of the way on their study abroad journey. They can discuss your child’s study options and help with any questions about applying for a place, accepting an offer or applying for a visa.

We send students a pre-departure guide and run pre-departure sessions online – just ask your educational counsellor for your specific Center’s session.

We can even arrange an airport pick-up service so you can be sure your child can travel safely to their accommodation – contact us to book this service.

You can be confident that your child will receive the best support and education in a safe and welcoming environment. At our Centers and on our partner university campuses, we've established a wide range of safety measures to protect students. Find out what it's like to study on campus at our UK study centers and our US study centers.

Our Orientation program, with both virtual and on-campus events, will help students settle in. We also organize social activities to help meet people and offer support with tasks such as opening a bank account.

If your child is quarantining, our academic and wellbeing support and student services teams can help remotely. Students staying in INTO accommodation have access to residential teams available 24/7 and a 24-hour helpline for any emergency needs. We also provide extra support for students under 18.

We’ll continue to be there to offer any academic, careers, language, progression or day-to-day support your child may need.

Our teachers are experienced in working with international students. They’re always happy to answer questions and will help your child achieve their academic goals.

Your child will have a Personal Tutor (UK) or Personal Academic Advisor (US) to guide them through their studies. Your child’s Personal Tutor or Academic Advisor will keep track of their progress, provide regular written reports and help them settle into academic life.

If students need extra help, we also offer: language advisers, extra one-to-one and group academic lessons, and helpdesk and revision sessions.

Important information about traveling to the UK or US

Image of UK university campus

A step-by-step guide to traveling to our UK Centers, with answers to all your questions about vaccinations, COVID-19 tests, quarantine and support for the Center your child is studying at.

Traveling to the UK FAQ
Image of US university campus

From vaccinations and COVID-19 tests to self-quarantine and starting classes, find all the information you need about traveling to the US, specific to the US Center your child is studying at.

Traveling to the US FAQ

Answers to your studying abroad questions

Academic progress

If your child is studying a pathway program, they are already studying college credit-bearing classes that are applicable towards their degree. They will need to pass their college classes, as these are foundational to their further semesters or terms of study.

Click on your child’s chosen degree in the ‘Where will it take me?’ section of their pathway program webpage to find out the required grades or ask your education counsellor.

We guarantee that students will receive a conditional offer for the degree program written on their INTO unconditional offer letter. Progression requirements will vary dependent on their study plan.

Students will submit a formal application to this degree during their INTO studies, with the support of a dedicated progression officer. This may be through UCAS or a direct application form. Your child will also receive support when applying to alternative universities as back-up choices. When your child passes their INTO program, we guarantee their placement at a UK university.

UK and US: Your child’s Personal Academic Advisor (US) or Personal Tutor (UK) will keep track of your child’s grades to ensure they are on track to meet the progression requirements or offer extra support. There are also academic tutors available to INTO students at the INTO Center on campus. In the US, campus academic success centers offer tutoring and learning assistance through facilities like writing centers. In the UK, extra one-to-one and group academic lessons, and revision sessions are available if needed.

Application and documentation

We need proof of your child’s finances to secure your child’s place and receive their Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). If this is a personal bank statement featuring transactions, it must be the child's or the parent's account, and includes the full name of the person who owns the account. It must be dated, stamped by the bank and include the currency of the liquid (accessible) funds. It must be in (or translated into) English language. The amount you have to show within the account depends on things like your course fees and length of your course. The amount and length of time it needs to have been in the account is set by the UK Government - see here for details.

We need proof of your child’s finances to secure your child’s place and receive an I-20. If this is a personal bank statement featuring transactions, it must include the full name of the person who owns the account. It must be dated, stamped by the bank and include the currency of the liquid (accessible) funds. It must be in (or translated into) English language.

If the personal bank statement does not belong to the student, you must submit an additional document: an affidavit of support. The affidavit of support must have the same full name (as the personal bank statement) written on it, the bank statement owner's signature, and the minimum funding amount for their study plan. The minimum funding amount is calculated by the university DSO (immigration specialist) and may be higher than the tuition fee of the annual study plan.

UK: your child will typically need to apply for a Student Route visa, ideally as soon as they have received their Certificate of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from INTO. A CAS will only be issued once your child has unconditionally confirmed. For any questions regarding your child’s visa you can email:

Our knowledgeable team at INTO has plenty of experience in offering guidance and advice on UK visa applications – INTO students in the UK have a 99% visa success rate. Find out more about applying for a visa for UK study.

US: your child will need to apply for an F-1 student visa. Our Pre-Arrival Assistance team will talk them through the stages of applying for their visa and answer their questions. As part of your child’s program, they will be able to join a PASS (Pre-arrival support services) session with a US visa specialist at INTO for interview preparation. Find out more about US student visa requirements.

UK and US: Deposits are refundable if a student is unable to meet visa entry requirements, subject to the receipt of an official visa rejection letter by the published start date of the Study Plan. Please read our Terms and Conditions carefully before paying your deposit.

COVID-19 safety measures

UK: All our UK Centers are open for on-campus classes, and some programs at some Centers are also available to study online.

In response to the increase in the Omicron variant, the UK Government has reintroduced some restrictions, including the wearing of face coverings in all indoor settings. Our Centers and partner universities are continuing with increased cleaning, protective screens, and hand sanitizing stations to ensure students are safe while they study.

Find out the latest UK updates on COVID-19 and vaccinations.

US: All our US Centers are open for on-campus classes.

Enhanced safety measures such as vaccine regulations, mask mandates, social distancing and added cleaning services are all in place at our US universities based on local and federal guidelines.

We aim to make arrival safe and stress free. All students will receive the US Arrivals package, including:

  • Airport transfer from nearby airports during appointed arrival days
  • Access to and support with COVID-19 vaccine (for those who need one)
  • Access to and support getting a COVID-19 test, as needed
  • Orientation to their program, classes, campus and their new community
  • Welcome events

Find out the latest updates on COVID-19 and vaccinations at our US INTO Centers.

There are slightly different travel rules for entering the UK depending on when students arrive, where they’ve traveled from and if they’re vaccinated or not, so check our UK COVID-19 page for the latest updates.

INTO’s UK quarantine support

If your child is traveling to the UK from a red list country, INTO is offering financial support to help with the costs of quarantining in a government-approved hotel. Find out more on our quarantine support page.

If your child is fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before they enter the US, they'll still need to:

  • show a negative COVID-19 test result or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 before boarding an international flight to the US
  • take a COVID-19 test 3-5 days after they arrive in the US

Fully vaccinated students arriving in the US do not need to self-quarantine after arriving in the US.

If your child isn't vaccinated against COVID-19 before they enter the US, they need to:

  • take a COVID-19 test no more than 3 days before they travel by air to the US, and provide a negative test result – the test result will be used for travel and at the border. It may also be required on arrival at the university.
  • check if there are restrictions or limitations of travel from your country to the US – check CDC advice.
  • plan their travel date according to quarantine policies the university may have in place. Check with the INTO Center your student is going to.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that un-vaccinated students take a COVID-19 test 3-5 days after they arrive in the US AND self-quarantine for 7 days after they arrive, even if the test is negative. Check CDC guidance.

Find out the latest updates on COVID-19 and vaccinations at our US INTO Centers.

UK: All international students who live in the UK and are registered with a doctor will be able to access the COVID-19 vaccination in the UK in line with the Government's vaccination schedule, just as they will be able to access healthcare.

Find out the latest UK updates on COVID-19 and vaccinations. Check the latest NHS advice about COVID-19.

US: All international students now have access to the free COVID-19 vaccine.

Find out the latest updates on COVID-19 and vaccinations at our US INTO Centers.

Hear from more parents of INTO students

INTO HOF Parent Testimonial image

“We are happy our daughter went abroad to study. She has become more independent and mature. INTO has helped her with her life and studies in the US. She loves studying at Hofstra and she even has a part-time job on campus in New York. We are very proud of her!”

Jianwei and Wensheng, China - parents of Chen, studying at INTO Hofstra University

Find the right university and program for your child