A view of Exeter University students walking on campus

Student visas in the UK 

With hundreds of international students studying in the UK with INTO  every year, we’ve got plenty of support to offer when it comes to applying  for your visa. In fact, INTO students have a 99% visa success rate in the UK.

Interested in studying with INTO? Find out more about our study  programs.

What type of visa do I need to study in the UK? 

The majority of non-EEA nationals will need to apply for a Tier 4 (General)  student visa in order to study in the UK. The EEA includes the European  Union countries, plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.  You may not need to apply for a visa if you: 

  • are an EEA or Swiss national
  • are a non-visa national on a course lasting less than 6 months
  • hold an ‘alternative visa’ or ‘leave to remain’, where there are no time limits on the permissions to stay

You can check your status to see whether you need a visa on the UK Visas  and Immigration (UKVI) website. Click the link at the bottom of the page  to find out more. 

How do I apply for a Tier 4 student visa? 

To apply for a Tier 4 student visa so you can study in the UK, you’ll need a  Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number. INTO will send you  your CAS once you have accepted your unconditional offer, paid your  deposit and passed any additional checks. 

As part of your application, you may need to pay the ‘Immigration Health  Surcharge’, which will give you access to the UK’s National Health Service.  The costs can vary, so we recommend checking how much you’ll need to  pay using the UKVI calculator tool

For full details on how to apply, you can read the latest UK visa guidance  here. Visas can take up to 30 days to come through, so it is recommended  that you apply as soon as you have received your offer. 

What documents do I need to apply for my visa? 

When you apply for a Tier 4 student visa, you may need to produce a  number of documents, along with your CAS . These could include: 

  • a current passport or other valid travel documentation with at least one page in your passport that is blank on both sides for your visa
  • one passport-sized colour photograph with your name written on the reverse side
  • proof that you can support yourself financially and pay for your course
  • proof of parental or other legal guardian consent if you are under 18
  • your tuberculosis test results, if you’re from a country where this is applicable

You may be asked to provide additional documents depending on your  individual circumstances. Supporting documents are usually returned  within 14 days. 

Where can I get help with my visa application? 

We understand that applying for a student visa can be a bit confusing at  times. That’s why we offer guidance and advice on visa applications, no  matter where you’re applying from. Our unique support includes: 

All the information we provide is based on the latest information available, but please note that the UKVI update their guidance frequently without notice. You should always check the UKVI website to be sure.