We're here to help you succeed
The Student Services team will support you in every way during your studies. For issues ranging from renewing your visa and opening a bank account, to translation and settling into the local area, our experienced staff are here to help. We’ll even help you find somewhere to eat your favourite foods!
INTO GCU student at reception
INTO GCU students and staff
INTO GCU staff member with students
Our teachers understand your needs, and are dedicated to your success. At the beginning of your course you’ll be told who your Personal Tutor is, and you’ll meet with them in your first week.
You can approach them for help with any academic questions or personal issues at any time throughout your studies. They’ll help you settle in, monitor your academic progress, and can refer you to additional academic and welfare support if needed.More about our teachers
English language support
Language advisers are available in the Centre to help students with a low level of English to communicate. An Arabic Language Support Officer is also on-hand to provide dedicated language support to Arabic-speaking students.
Other language support services include extra individual and small group academic lessons, online support, revision sessions, and one-to-one teaching at an additional cost.
Support living in the UK
On campus, you will find:
- help finding a part-time job (if your visa allows it)
- help with careers guidance for after you graduate
- wellbeing support from the chaplaincy team
- help and advice on renewing your visa during our visa workshops
- 24-hour support from residential advisors
- 24-hour emergency help contact number
- airport pick-up service (at an additional cost)
- help opening a bank account
- help registering with a doctor
- help settling into the local area
- counselling services if you need to talk to someone
- language advisors who can translate for you
Need extra help settling into university life?
Glasgow Caledonian University has a Global Buddies programme to help international students settle into life in Glasgow. After you apply, you will be matched up with a buddy with a common interest, such as a hobby or sport, who will:
- help you understand the services offered at GCU
- introduce you to new friends on campus
- show you around Glasgow
- help you practice your English language skills in conversation