Living in St. Louis
St. Louis is a unique, historic city. At SLU, you are minutes away from the Grand Center Arts District, home to great restaurants and museums. Find a great place to eat, see an art exhibit or enjoy the world-class St. Louis Symphony Orchestra on a night out.
St. Louis's nickname is The Gateway City because of its most famous attraction, The Gateway Arch. An iconic US monument, it is the world's tallest arch and towers over the banks of the Mississippi River. Take a trip to the top to catch a picture-perfect view of St. Louis. Also, be sure to explore Forest Park - a city park bigger than New York City's Central Park and home to many great museums.
For more exciting tips about living in St. Louis, visit our City Guide.
Explore St. Louis
You are in the heart of downtown St. Louis at our SLU campus. Within a short walk are great sites to explore. Many museums and attractions in St. Louis are free! Take a look at our list of must-see places below:
- St. Louis Science Center
- St. Louis Art Museum
- Missouri Botanical Gardens
- St. Louis Zoo
- Busch Stadium - where the professional baseball team, the St. Louis Cardinals, play
- Citygarden - sculpture park with interactive art and gardens
- Grant's Farm - A 280-acre historic farm and landmark that is a refuge for over 900 animals
Eating in St. Louis
There's plenty of great restaurants to enjoy in downtown St. Louis. Check out our list below:
- Midtown Sushi and Ramen - A local place close to campus with rave reviews
- Snarf's Sandwiches SLU - A regional chain with exciting sandwich options for lunch
- Jazz St. Louis - Get outstanding Southern cuisine while listening to live jazz
- Sweetie Pie's Upper Crust - Soul food
- Bogart's Smokehouse - Some of the best BBQ in the US
- Anthonino's Taverna - Terrific Italian! Don't forget to try toasted ravioli, a St. Louis tradition
- Blues City Deli - A local favorite with live music and great American food
- The Billiken's Lair - The on-campus food court with Subway, Mexican food
No matter where you go in the St. Louis area, you can find great places to shop. Check out our list below:
- St. Louis Galleria - Mall with a huge selection of shops close to campus
- Brentwood Square - Mall with places like Nordstrom's, Whole Foods and The Container Store
- Plaza Frontenac - An upscale shopping center with places like Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue
- Delmar Loop - One of the ten great streets in America, according to the American Planning Association. There are over 145 specialty shops to explore
Culture and entertainment
Entertainment in St. Louis is just about everywhere. See our list below for unique places to visit:
- City Museum: a one-of-a-kind urban playground and must-see attraction people love. Be sure to go with friends
- The Muny Amphitheatre: located in Forest Park, the 100-year old venue hosts musicals and theater productions. It's a terrific place to see a show
- Jewel Box Greenhouse: an Art Deco greenhouse hidden in Forest Park
- Tivoli Movie Theatre: a classic 1920s movie theatre.
- The Fabulous Fox: an Art Deco concert hall that hosts musicals, singers and comedians
- SLU Museum of Art - one of the best college art museums in the country
How to get around
- SLU Shuttles: We provide transportation to students around campus and points around the St. Louis area.
- SLU Ride: Provides students with evening and weekend rides to buildings around campus.
- The Metro transit system provides public transportation through the light rail system MetroLink and Call-A-Ride service.
- If you need help getting somewhere, don't hesitate to ask for help from our INTO SLU staff.
What should I wear?
- Weather in St. Louis has four distinct seasons.
- The average temperature ranges from 3° C in January to 32° C in July.
- You will need clothing for both warm and cold seasons.
- Please don't pack extra clothing and bring only what you will need.
- You may purchase anything when you arrive in St. Louis.