Campus life at UAB
UAB has an exciting, dynamic campus life where you can impact others in community engagement projects, join a student organization, or explore the unique Southern city of Birmingham with friends.
We have events going on year-round. Campus Green, an open space in the middle of campus, is busy with students studying and hanging out with friends. Our INTO UAB Center lobby is perfect for meeting other international students. If you need answers to any questions, ask an INTO staff member at the front desk.
See below for further info about campus.
We want you to have a fantastic study abroad and student experience here at UAB. Here are some ways you can get involved with the campus and local community:
- INTO UAB student activities - previous events have included a visit to the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute and a pumpkin-carving party at Halloween
- Student Multicultural and Diversity Programs offer safe spaces for students of color and LGBTQ members. They run the International Mentors program to provide incoming students like you with valuable information about life at UAB and in the US.
- Check the UAB Student Involvement page by clicking here for upcoming events and campus-wide activities.
- 240+ student organizations – for more info, click here
- Community Partners - a program where students are introduced to a local American family for friendship and cultural exchange.
- Free access to all UAB athletic events.
UAB has 18 NCAA Division I sports teams. Cheer on your team at a game and show your Blazer spirit!
If you are interested in playing a sport, take a look at our club and intramural options described below:
- Club sports are registered student organizations that compete with teams at other universities and regional and national tournaments
- There are 20 club sports at UAB, including soccer, cricket, rugby and tennis
- Intramural sports are a less competitive option where you can compete against other UAB students, make friends and unforgettable memories
- Intramural options include basketball and indoor soccer
Religion and faith-based organizations
- Briarwood International Outreach (BIO) is a Christian organization that helps meet international students' spiritual, relational, and practical needs
- Membership is open to all students of UAB
- Additionally, there is a Muslim Students' Association for students practicing Islam and Catholic Blazers for those practicing Catholicism
When you eat on campus, you won't need to carry cash. Students access their meal plan through a ONE Card, accepted at our 15+ on-campus dining locations! See our dining options below:
- The Commons on the Green - our buffet-style cafeteria, makes your everyday favorites and has exciting daily specials
- Produce at Commons on the Green is locally sourced. In addition, all meat and seafood are ethically and responsibly sourced
- Commons on the Green also has a Simple Servings station for food without eggs, gluten, milk, peanuts, shellfish, soy, tree nuts and wheat
- Two Starbucks open early and late
- The C Store - convenience store with snacks and any essentials you might need
- Panera Bread - bakery with sandwiches and soups
- The Den by Denny's - breakfast, burritos, sandwiches and salads
- Moe's Southwest Grill - fast Mexican with a western US flair
- Einstein Brother's Bagels - fresh bagels made daily for breakfast and lunch
- Mein Bowl - lunch spot featuring rice and noodle bowls with fresh veggies
Health and safety services
Your safety and health are our top priority during your study abroad experience at UAB. See our list of health services and security services below.
Security Services and Precautions
- Buildings monitored by electronic access control systems 24 hours per day
- Residence halls staffed 24/7 and guest check-in required before entry
- Dedicated on-campus police force that regularly patrols all areas of campus
- 490+ Help Phones across UAB campus, directly connecting with UAB Police
- Rave Guardian app, directly connecting with UAB Police and emergency services
- B-ALERT, the university's emergency notification system, communicating emergency-related information through voice calls, SMS and email
- All students are required to have health insurance while studying at INTO UAB
- You are automatically enrolled in the Student Health and Wellness program when you arrive (as a part of your tuition and fees) at UAB. You will have access to an on-campus office for routine and acute doctor's visits, immunization requirements, and general health needs.
- The Student Health Services Center will meet all of your primary health care needs, including appointments with healthcare providers, routine diagnostic lab testing and X-ray services.
- UAB Counseling Services has licensed professional counselors on staff to help students with mental health or lifestyle concerns free of charge.