What makes UWA a great place to study?
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is a globally-ranking, Group of Eight institution with a strong reputation for teaching excellence, industry-rich learning and employability.
This welcoming and diverse university, with students from more than 100 countries, offers a genuinely global education experience. Immerse yourself in this friendly student community on campus, packed with events, hangouts and social clubs that will help you make connections for life.
You'll study on a riverside campus that benefits from world-class teaching facilities. Here you'll learn from passionate and engaged leaders in your field of study who will inspire you to take the first steps in your dream career.
When you're not hard at work, you'll get to enjoy the best that sunny Perth has to offer. UWA's central location makes it easy to get to the city to enjoy some shopping or delicious international cuisine.
What is UWA known for?
The University of Western Australia is one of the country's most research-intensive institutions – earning its place as a member of the pretigious Group of Eight universities.
UWA currently receives nearly 80% of all research funding in the region. With this, its staff and students are able to work on some of the biggest challenges facing the world today.
UWA is also a world-leader in a number of academic subjects, excelling across several science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) fields. With 25 subjects in the world top 1% (QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021), The University of Western Australia is a consistent top performer. Subjects in the world top 50 include:
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Earth and Marine Sciences
- Engineering Civil and Structural
- Engineering Mineral and Mining
- Sports-related subjects
What's it like to study at UWA?
Go beyond the books. At UWA, the focus is on a hands-on approach to learning that will help you gain practical skills and develop your subject knowledge. You’ll discover new ways to learn in an environment that’s designed to help you reach your potential.
You'll benefit from:
- teachers rated 5 stars for teaching quality and student-to-teacher ratio, which means you get the access you need to excel (Good Universities Guide 2021)
- five specialist libraries, including high-tech study facilities, resources and learning spaces such as the impressive EZONE student hub
- a diverse 130,000-strong alumni network that includes Nobel Laureates and Prime Ministers among its impressive community.
How will UWA help with my career?
With a reputation for industry-rich learning and connections, the university is ranked first in Western Australia for employability (QS Graduate Employability Ranking 2020). And with 82.1% of UWA's postgraduate alumni working 6 months after graduation (QILT 2020), you can be sure you'll get all the help you need to kick-start your dream career.
UWA's partnerships open up many opportunities including:
- more than 4,500 global industry partners working on real-world challenges
- work placements and internships on selected degrees
- for-credit volunteering that gives you key experience in your chosen field
- direct connections to commerce through UWA's industry-led university boards and councils.
Australia offers post-study work visas for overseas students who have recently graduated from an Australian university, allowing you to live, work and study in Australia for two to four years. Perth’s status as a ‘major regional center’ means international graduates with a degree from UWA will be able to work an extra year in Australia on their post-study work visa.