Students walking through a city centre.
Students walking through a city centre.

Australian student visa requirements 

In order to study in Australia as an international student, you’ll need to obtain an Australian student visa. For everything you need to know about applying for an Australian visa, see our guidance below.

How can I get a study visa for Australia?

The majority of international students will need to apply for a Subclass 500 student visa if they wish to study in Australia. A Subclass 500 visa allows you to stay in Australia for up to 5 years, in line with your study plan.

To apply for a Subclass 500 visa, you must:

  • Provide a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) to prove you are enrolled in a course of study
  • Meet the minimum English language requirements for study in Australia
  • Prove that you can support yourself financially and pay for your course
  • Have and maintain the right health insurance for the duration of your stay
  • Pass tests to determine your good character and health status
  • Sign a document stating that you understand and will respect the Australian laws and way of life

For more information on the full list of eligibility criteria for the Subclass 500 visa, visit the Australian Home Affairs website. You can also check what documentation you will need to provide using the Document Checklist tool.

Where can I get help with my Subclass 500 visa?

Applying for a visa to study abroad can be confusing, but there are a number of resources available to help you:

  • A questionnaire to help you explore your visa options for studying in Australia
  • Answers to frequently asked questions about Australian visas and travel
  • Our friendly and knowledgeable Enrolment Services team, who are always happy to help
  • A dedicated email address for any questions about English language tests: