About Glasgow Caledonian University
Glasgow Caledonian University (GCU) is an institution that is completely immersed in industry. With a wealth of specialist degrees within the Engineering, Fashion, International Business and Computing fields, GCU bridges the gap between simply learning in a classroom and receiving valuable industry experience.
Its career-focused programmes and specialist subject-specific facilities are designed to help shape your future career goals with both theoretical and practical learning. GCU students engage with their education – will you join them?
Specialist, niche and contemporary degrees
GCU has a unique and contemporary degree offering. Focusing on your ultimate career prospects right from the start, many degrees are among a few of their kind in the world, such as:
- Advanced Internetwork Engineering
- Luxury Brand Management
- Luxury Brand Marketing
You will find degrees that delve into the specifics of a subject that you are interested in, so you will grow to become a specialist in your field. The University has strong links to leading companies such as Morgan Stanley, Polo Ralph Lauren Europe, PwC, Clyde Union Pumps, Santander, Siemens, Network Rail, Babcock International, Jaguar and GEC to help get you on your way to a career when you graduate.
GCU has helped many students make their dream of starting their own business come true. Isatou from The Gambia started her own health drinks company with support from GCU and went on to win Sir Richard Branson’s Virgin Media ‘VOOM’ business pitch competition!
Outside Glasgow Caledonian University
Study spaces at Glasgow Caledonian University
Students using the study pods
Built Environment students looking at a paper model
Fashion facilities at Glasgow Caledonian University
Fashion student drafting a pattern
GCU Students' Association games area
Career-focused, accredited programmes
Programme accreditations are internationally-recognised approvals by professional bodies that confirm to your future employer that you’ve had great preparation for a career in your chosen subject. Accredited programmes may also give you the opportunity register with a professional body and take certification examinations to boost your employability. GCU has a huge portfolio of programme accreditations from professional bodies across a wide variety of subject areas, including:
- Mechanical Engineering – accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
- Electrical Power Engineering and Electrical and Electronic Engineering – accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology.
- Applied Instrumentation and Control – accredited by the Institute of Measurement and Control.
- International Fashion Marketing and International Business – EPAS accreditation by the European Foundation for Management Development.
- International Marketing – accredited by the Chartered Institute of Marketing.
- International Operations and Supply Chain Management – accredited by the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport and the Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply.
- International Human Resource Management – one of a small number of programmes in the UK to be accredited by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development.
- International Banking, Finance and Risk Management – accredited by the Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment and the Chartered Insurance Institute.
- Big Data Technologies, IT Management for Business, Software Development for Business and Computer Games – BCS accredited by the Chartered Institute for IT.
Work Placements at GCU
There are great opportunities to take a placement or interact with industry-leading companies throughout your degree programme, no matter the subject area you choose to study.
One INTO GCU alumna, Nadine from The Gambia, progressed to study BEng (Hons) Computer-Aided Mechanical Engineering at GCU. During her degree programme, she was given the opportunity to take a work placement with aeronautics company, Airbus, in Germany, working within the Space Systems department that develops new technologies.
Innovative facilities to help you succeed
Designed to help you gain the skills that employers want, GCU has a modern learning environment filled with cutting-edge facilities. Depending on your chosen degree, the facilities you could have access to include:
- Physiotherapy@GCUClinic – a specialist healthcare service on campus for students to learn to assess injuries and treat conditions
- Networking Labs – six dedicated labs with 30+ CCNA Security and CCNP pods populated with a variety of high specification devices, plus an online Netlab system
- Interprofessional Simulation Centre – simulated home and hospital environments with high fidelity recording equipment to create scenarios that can be filmed
- GCU Vision Centre – a functioning opticians service with specialist services including colour vision assessments, a dispensing service, low vision assessments, and more
- Game Design Studio – 3D Laser Scanning and Motion Capture tools, a Rapid Prototyping machine, 3D Animation and Virtual Reality labs, a HD Video Production suite, an Art Studio and a Digital Audio Recording Studio
- Fashion Factory – an industry-standard CAD design and cutting studio that replicates a real industrial environment, facilitating an authentic experience from design right through to production